Secured loan is a loan backed by an asset (e.g. a car or property) you own, in order to decrease the risk assumed by the bank. The asset will be taken over by the bank if you fail to make the necessary repayments.
A secured loan can be:
- A car Loan taken to buy a car that you always wanted.
- A home loan taken to buy a flat or house. You can also take it to refurbish your home.
- Secured business loan, where machinery, stock, raw material, building etc. are pledged against the loan amount required.
Unsecured loan is given on the basis of your income and expense behaviour and does not require any collateral. It offers the flexibility to choose the repayment tenure between one and five years and the best loan rates are generally given for borrowers looking to make repayments over three and five years.
An unsecured loan can be:
- A personal loan taken for a vacation abroad, a wedding in the family, a business requirement, or for any other need for which you do not have ready liquidity. You can acquire this loan at a higher rate of interest for a comparatively smaller tenor.
- A credit card loan which is the most flexible form of short-term borrowings with easy repayment options.
- A bank overdraft which you can use to avail unsecured finance from your bank for your business.
The kind of loan you opt for should be decided on factors like:
- Which type of loan has a lower rate of interest?
- Do you have any asset to mortgage?
- What is your repayment capability?
- What is the end use of the finance you need? Is it commercial or personal?
A secured loan should be preferred when
- The interest rates are lower and you get extended repayment options.
- You get to choose between a fixed and variable rate (Home Loan) and decide to pay nothing for the initial term of the loan.
- You have greater financial flexibility and more savings options.
And, you should go ahead with an unsecured loan
- If you need immediate financial assistance with minimal paperwork.
- If the loan amount is relatively small.
- You don’t have an asset to mortgage.
Next time when you need a loan, make sure you opt for a secured or unsecured load keeping these factors in mind.
To learn more about Citibank Personal Loans, visit www.citibank.ae